This article is about Introduction to Computer Graphics. In this we will provides a foundational overview of the field of computer graphics, covering its principles, applications, and fundamental concepts. The aim of introduction is to give you a broad understanding of what computer graphics is and importance of computer graphics.
Definition of Computer Graphics: Computer graphics refers to the study and the technology used to create, manipulate, and display visual images and animations on a computer screen.
Computer Graphics includes several things
- The representation or manipulation of images or the data in a graphical ways.
- Various technology is required for the manipulation and creation of data and images.
- Digital synthesis and its manipulation.
History of computer graphics (CG)
The history of computer graphics is an interesting journey that start over several decades. Here is a light overview of the key development in the history of computer graphics. Ivan Sutherland Sketchpad (1963) is regarded as one of the earlier computer graphics systems. It allowed users to create, draw and manipulate objects using a light pen.
First Graphics Displays (1960s):
- Very Early graphics displays, such as the TX-2 at MIT and the PDP-1, featured rudimentary vector displays and served as precursors to modern computer graphics.
Development of Graphical User Interfaces (1970s-1980s):
- Xerox PARC played an important role in developing the concept of the GUI that later influenced the design of systems like the Apple Macintosh.
- The Xerox Alto (1973) was one of the first computers that have features of GUI.
- In 1970 3D computer graphics was introduced.
- The development of rendering algorithms and techniques, including in 3D computer graphics.
- The video game industry introduces advancements in computer graphics. Early games started like “Pong” (1972) and “Space Invaders” (1978).
Computer Graphics Standards (1980s-1990s):
- Establishment of standards like DirectX and OpenGL allowed software developers to create graphics applications in the verity of way. This is an advancement in the field of GUI
- CAD software revolutionized engineering and design fields by enabling the creation of detailed 2D and 3D models, speeding up the product design and architectural planning processes.
- During 1980 film industry began to use computer-generated imagery (CGI) in movies.
- Later on animated films starts.
- After that VR and AR technologies used that is new advancement in the field of GUI.
Modern Graphics Hardware (2000s-Present):
- GPUs (Graphics processing units ) have become incredibly powerful, enabling real-time rendering of complex 3D scenes in video games and simulations.
Application of computer graphics
Computer graphic have a wide range of applications in various fields. Computer graphics applications have ability to create, manipulate, and display visual content through the computers. Here are some important applications of computer graphics are given below.
video games are nothing with computer graphics. CG are used to create immersive 2D and 3D environments and special effects. Animation studios like Pixar and Disney use CG to create lifelike animations.
Design and Art
Graphic designers use computer graphics to design logos brochures, posters and etc. Artists use digital tools to create digital paintings. Architects use 3D modeling software for creating detailed and realistic models.
Science and Engineering
The Researchers use CG to visualize complex data, such as climate simulations and medical imaging. Engineers employ CAD software to design and simulate products, buildings, and systems.
Use of Computer graphics in the field of Education
Computer graphics is also using in field of education. We use computer graphics in learning, sending data from one university to an other university etc.
- User Interfaces (UI) and User Experience (UX)
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR)
- Advertising and Marketing
- Simulation and Training
- Gaming and Interactive Entertainment
Computer Graphics Tutorial Index
|Computer Graphics Tutorial
Scan Conversion a line
Scan Conversion Circle
Scan Converting Ellipse
|Filled Area Primitives
Pointing & Positioning
3D Computer Graphics